How to make money on YouTube by uploading videos, where 400 hours of video are uploaded every minute? Different ways to monetize for those who are ready to break into YouTube.
Method Number 1: Monetizing through the YouTube Affiliate Program
This is one of the most popular and easiest ways to make money on YouTube. In this case, you do not create the advertisement itself, but only give permission to place it. You choose when, how and in what quantity it will be shown during your video – for example, whether it will be an advertisement only at the beginning of the video or at any time, whether it will be possible to rewind it or have to watch it to the end, etc.
However, you cannot select a specific ad to display. But don’t worry: YouTube strictly selects advertisements and does not skip videos about illegal goods or services (for example, about a casino or an escort).
In this way, you can earn on Google AdSense ads and / or YouTube Premium subscriptions (if your video is viewed by a user who paid for an ad-free subscription, YouTube will share with you a percentage of the subscription cost).
For you to be able to monetize your content as a YouTube partner, your channel must meet several conditions:
- Minimum 1000 subscribers;
- At least 4000 hours of video views over the last year.
At the same time, the number of video views is not take into account, so as not to encourage cheating. In general, these are quite realizable conditions, especially if you already host or plan to host your channel regularly.
How do you know if you can already monetize your videos with an affiliate program? In your YouTube Studio, a green dollar icon will appear next to the videos, and when you upload a new video, you will be asked for information about the ad formats and their number.
How much and what does YouTube pay
First of all, it is worth noting that YouTube pays not for the views of your video in principle, but for the so-called commercial views – when the employer’s goal is achieved (this can be showing ads up to a certain second or even clicking on a link). That is, if the viewer, while watching your video, immediately missed the ad or closed the tab in annoyance, you will not receive money.
There is no fix cost for the number of impressions, as it depends on a combination of factors:
- Thematic channel niche,
- Its audience (geographical location, its demand among advertisers),
- Video quality and coverage,
- The number of commercial ad impressions,
- Type of advertisement, depth of its viewing by users, quantity, etc.
On average, per 1,000 ad impressions, you can earn from $ 1 to $ 3 . Please note that this income of yours is only 55% of what the advertiser actually pays (the rest is the commission of the affiliate program). Bloggers with an English-speaking audience earn significantly higher – an average of $ 7.60 per 1000 views.
You can withdraw the earned money when your income exceeds the $ 100 mark. Overall, while this is an easy way to monetize YouTube videos, it is not very profitable.
What is MCN: Pros and Cons
MCN (multi-channel network), or media network, is a third-party organization that helps in monetizing your YouTube channel: it provides additional promotion tools, technical support, simplified withdrawal of money, consultations and educational events on the topic of promotion and monetization on YouTube. The media network takes a percentage of your earnings for its work. Each media network has its own percentage – on average it is 30%
To become part of the media network, you need to meet a number of requirements. Each MCN has its own, but usually refer to the number of subscribers and hours of content viewed per year.
Pros of working with MCN:
- many convenient options for withdrawing funds (which is not the case with direct monetization through Google AdSense) to electronic money systems;
- transparent income reporting system;
- consultations on marketing and promotion of the YouTube channel + training materials;
- the opportunity to work with major advertisers.
Cons of working with MCN:
- work through the media network “eats up” most of the earnings that could be obtained by working with Google AdSense directly (while earning using the media network can be done not only on Google AdSense advertising, but, for example, on advertising integrations);
- Promotional assistance (advice and training materials) may not be of very good quality, resulting in no expected benefit.
So, if you have a small YouTube channel that does not attract advertisers yet, but is monetized through Google AdSense, then working with the media network will not bring a lot of income.
Method Number 2: How to Make Money on YouTube Using ad Integrations
This is another popular way of monetizing content among youtubers, which allows you to make money on your YouTube channel. You advertise a product or brand, for which you will pay for.
You can do this by several ways:
- Product placement (when you advertise a brand’s products without naming it – for example, you ostentatiously drink coffee from a mug on which the logo and corporate colors of a particular brand are clearly visible);
- Recommendation / review (when you advertise something that you personally used and can share your experience – for example, you are reviewing a new device);
- Native advertising (an ad developed by a blogger in such a way that it arouses interest in the same way as the content itself, because it is integrated into the video as naturally as possible);
- Advertising insert (an ad that is not related to the theme of the video and is integrated into it with the help of special designations that this is an advertisement).
YouTube prerequisite is to mark ad integrations. To do this, in your personal account, when uploading a video, you need to check the box next to the option “Video contains paid advertising”. It is important not to overload the video with advertising (if you do not check this box, YouTube will add its own advertising in addition to yours).
Where to Find Advertisers?
The number of subscribers you have on a channel that makes it attractive to advertisers varies by niche. If you have a narrow-topic channel with a target audience necessary for an advertiser. You will surely take interest in already having several thousand subscribers.
If you are just developing a channel, you can try to cooperate with advertising exchanges. You just upload advanced channel statistics to the exchange, after which your profile is displayed on the site. You can be selected for advertising integrations, and after completing the order, the exchange will transfer the payment to you, and will take 5-15% of the commission for itself. Media networks also help in finding advertisers, if you work with them. Well, many brands directly contact bloggers of interest to themselves.
The main advantage of this method of monetization is a high level of income (for example, advertising integration into a video of a blogger with a million-plus subscribers can cost $ 4,000-5,000 ).
But keep in mind that while doing this:
- You need to know your audience very well in order to preliminarily evaluate which advertising will “go” to it and which will not;
- You will have to spend time negotiating and discussing the terms of cooperation if you work with the advertiser directly;
- There is a risk of losing audience loyalty if you fail to deliver quality ads or contact an advertiser with a bad reputation.
Method Number 3: Crowdfunding / Sponsorship
In 2020, this monetization option has become especially popular. Its essence is to enable your loyal audience to support your channel financially.
There are two support options: sponsorship and crowdfunding.
- Sponsorship subscription. This is a monthly payment for a certain amount from subscribers, in return for which they receive not only video content, but also additional bonuses – for example, the ability to communicate with you personally, access to restricted content, souvenirs, etc. At the same time, YouTube takes a commission of 30% of the subscription cost. This feature is not yet available in some countries.
- Crowdfunding, or donations. This is when subscribers have the opportunity to transfer any amount of money to you at will. This option is now available to everyone. It is enough to indicate in the description of the channel and each video where you can transfer money.
This method of monetization should be considered only as additional, because it is unlikely to bring normal income, even if you have a millionth channel. And it will not allow you to plan a stable monthly profit. But as an additional bonus for efforts and the opportunity to assess audience loyalty, this option is suitable.
Method Number 4: Additional Monetization Through Affiliate Links
You’ve probably seen videos where the blogger first makes an advertisement, and then asks to place an order using the link indicated in the description of the video. This is affiliate marketing – when a blogger earns commission from each order made and paid for using his referral link. In this case, he is not paid for the advertising integration itself. Only for its results in the form of the number of orders and their average check. The blogger’s commission depends on the conditions of the affiliate program and can reach 20-70% from each order.
It is important not to abuse the number of such links. It is better to find 2-3 partners and cooperate with them on an ongoing basis than to look for new ones all the time and risk audience loyalty.
Method Number 5: Selling Your Goods / Services
This way of making money is similar to advertising integrations with brands. Only you sell for your own benefit and act as both an advertiser and a blogger. This option is often resorted to by large YouTubers with a loyal audience that has “proven” itself in paid advertising partnerships with companies.
Of the advantages of this option of making money, it is relatively simple, since the blogger can delegate the production of goods and services to others. Of the minuses, you can make a mistake with the assortment, tire the audience with advertising and not get any profit.
How Much to Really Make Money on YouTube
Alas, here it is difficult to name any exact or even minimal figures. Since there are too many factors affecting income from YouTube. In any case, the more loyal subscribers the channel has, the greater the possible earnings, the more reach and engagement the video has.
In total, how much can you earn on YouTube using the above methods of content monetization?
- YouTube Affiliate Program: Approximately $ 1-3 per 1000 views. This is a stable, but not very profitable way of earning money.
- Advertising Integrations with Brands. This is perhaps the most promising option for making money on YouTube – one integration can bring a millionaire blogger about $ 4,000-5,000. And how many of them will be in a month depends only on the youtuber.
- Affiliate Links: Income depends on the number of paid orders for your link, for each of which you receive 20-70%, depending on the conditions of the partner.
- Sponsorship Subscriptions or Donations: Not suitable for newbie youtubers. Since income here depends on the loyalty of the audience and its number. It can be as little as $ 10 per month, or a couple of hundred or thousands. For example, the YouTube channel Toronto TV.
- Selling Your Goods and Services: As in the case of donations, income is highly dependent on the quality and quantity of the audience, the product itself. You can go out to earn several thousand dollars a month. Or you can miscalculate with the goods and not earn anything.
How Much Do Youtubers Make Money On YouTube
Few people talk openly about their income. According to rough estimates of YouTube experts, this is how much bloggers earn monthly on AdSense alone.
- Sawyer hartman (1.9 million subscribers) – from $ 1300 Monthly
- Doctor Komarovsky (2.6 million subscribers) – from $ 2,000
- TSN (2.2 million subscribers) – from $ 13,000 (much more than the rest, due to more videos and views)
- 16-year-old blogger Lady Diana (7.82 million subscribers) – from $ 47,000.
Blogging on YouTube is a long-term game. You won’t be able to earn a lot here at once. And it’s not a fact that it will come out even after 1-2 years of active blogging. You will not have crowds of advertisers until you have thousands or millions, and most importantly, a loyal audience. Therefore, at first, you can only count on a small ad income with AdSense. Which is more likely to be a bonus for your efforts than a decent payment for your work. But if you are ready to play for a long time and see going out to YouTube as an important and necessary stage in your development. Then, of course, dare, try, launch, and let everything work out for you! So go ahead and make money on YouTube. Good Luck!!